ST Instafit Meals™: Quesadilla
Every time I think of quesadillas I’m reminded of this scene in Napoleon Dynamite. I’m pretty sure it’s because of the way his grandmother says it and for whatever reason it’s funny to me–as is the whole movie. People either lover it or hate it. I happen to love it!
Now I’m not sure how Napoleon’s grandma makes hers but in general, I don’t think quesadillas are all the bad, even when using normal ingredients. But because this is a healthier meal, the recipe includes better ingredients such as low-carb whole wheat tortillas, low-fat cheese and low-fat sour cream sour cream. Just by making those three substitutions your cutting out close to 200 calories per quesadilla. If you cut out 200 calories a meal, over the course of the week, at four meals a day you’d cut out over 5000 calories or about 1.5lbs of fat. Switching from sour cream to low-fat sour cream saves 40 calories which may not sound like much, but small changes with like that from better grocery shopping adds up.
COST PER MEAL: $3.11
- Chicken Breast (4oz): 124 calories
- Low-Carb Whole Wheat Tortillas (2 small): 100 calories
- Low-Fat Shredded Cheese (1/4 cup): 80 calories
- Onion (1/4 medium): 15 calories
- Green Pepper (1/2 medium) 16 calories
- Low-Fat Sour Cream (2tbsp): 40 calories
- Salsa (4tbsp): 30 calories
- Low-Sodium Kidney Beans (1/2 cup): 120 calories
- No Salt Added Diced Tomatoes (1/2 cup): 15 calories
- Chili Seasoning (1 1/3 tbsp): 30calories
- Green Pepper (1/2): 16 calories
- Onion (1/2) 8 calories
The total calories for this meal(above) is 405 calories. Depending on how many calories you should be taking in at each meal, below are some examples on how to adjust the ingredients to get your calorie count:
- 300 calories per meal: use 2oz of chicken, 1tbsp of low fat sour cream and 2tbsp of salsa
- 350 calories per meal: use 3oz of chicken and 1tbsp of low-fat sour cream
- 400 calories per meal: use meal above
- 450 calories per meal: add 1oz of chicken and 1tbsp of low-fat sour cream | add 1/8 cup of low-fat shredded cheese and 2tbsp of salsa
- 500 calories per meal: add 1oz of chicken, 1tbsp of low-fat sour cream, 1/8 cup of low-fat shredded cheese and 2tbsp of salsa
- Preheat toaster oven at 400 degrees or set conventional oven to broil
- Place small frying pan over medium heat
- Dice chicken breast into small pieces then place into frying pan. Be sure to move chicken around so that it cooks evenly
- As chicken is cooking, chop up onion and green pepper then add to frying pan with chicken
- Place one tortilla on a place
- Once chicken and vegetables is fully cooked distribute them onto tortilla so that they are flat and evenly distributed with about 1/2 an inch from the tortilla edge
- Evenly sprinkle low-fat cheese over chicken and vegetables
- Lay second tortilla over top
- Place quesadilla into toaster oven or oven for 5-10 minutes or until tortilla is hard.
- Add salsa and low-fat sour cream on top of quesadilla or on the side
- ENJOY YOUR HEALTHIER MEAL!
To read more about ST Instafit Meals CLICK HERE.